Applications are invited for the 12-month Google AI Residency Program 2020.
- The Google AI Residency Program will have 3 start dates over the course of 5 months, from June to October 2019. Exact dates are yet to be determined.
Eligible Countries: All
About the Award: The Google AI Residency Program (formerly known as the Google Brain Residency Program) is a 12-month role designed to advance your career in machine learning research. Residents will work alongside distinguished scientists from various Research teams. The goal of the residency is to help residents become productive and successful AI researchers.
We created the Google Brain Residency Program in 2015, and we are now expanding it into a broader program that involves not just the Google Brain team, but a broader group of research teams doing machine learning research. Residents will have the opportunity to do everything from conducting fundamental research to contributing to products and services used by millions of people. We encourage our Residents to publish their work externally. Take a look at what some have done in previous years.
We are looking for people who want to learn to conduct machine learning research in collaboration with our researchers. You may have research experience in another field (e.g., mathematics, physics, bioinformatics, etc.) and want to apply machine learning to this area, or you may have limited research experience but, a desire to do more. Of course having machine learning research experience is great.
Current students will need to graduate from their current degree program before the residency begins. We encourage candidates from all over the world to apply. If a candidate requires a work visa, Google will explore what options are available on a case by case basis.
- BA/BS degree in a STEM field such as Computer Science, Mathematics or Statistics, or equivalent practical experience.
- Completed coursework in calculus, linear algebra, and probability, or their equivalent.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to: C/C++ or Python
- Experience with machine learning or deep learning, applications of machine learning to NLP, computer vision, speech, systems, robotics, algorithms, optimization, on-device learning, social networks, economics, information retrieval, journalism, or health care.
- Research experience in machine learning or deep learning (e.g., links to open-source work or link to novel learning algorithms).
- Strong open-source project experience that demonstrates programming, mathematical, and machine learning abilities and interest.
Selection Criteria: The research teams are looking for coding abilities in either Python or C++ and exposure to machine learning or deep learning; or applications of machine learning to NLP, computer vision, speech, systems, robotics, algorithms, optimization, on-device learning, social networks, economics, information retrieval, journalism, or health care
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: All residents will be paid a competitive base salary and bonus. If you need to relocate for the residency, Google will also provide a relocation bonus to assist you in the move to the Bay Area (or other location, if needed).
Duration of Program: 12 months
How to Apply: To apply, please read all instructions below and submit the following required materials:
- Cover Letter
Your application should show evidence of proficiency in programming and in prerequisite courses, notable performance in competitions, or links to an open-source project that demonstrates programming and mathematical ability. Your application should present a interest in the field. This can be demonstrated through links to publications and blog posts, or implementations of one or more (even slightly) learning algorithms, including an explanation for what makes it novel.
Prepare the following documents to complete your application:
- Current CV (including links to GitHub, papers and/or blogs if applicable).
- Cover letter including a statement on why you think you’d be great for the Google AI Residency Program.
- Transcripts from your most recent degree.
Click on the “Apply” button on the page in Link below to provide the above required materials in the appropriate sections (PDFs preferred):
- In the “Resume Section:” attach an updated resume.
- In the “Optional Section:” attach your cover letter that includes a statement on why you think you’d be great for the Google AI Residency Program. This section is mandatory for the program even though it is optional, as noted on the website, for other jobs at Google.
- In the “Education Section:” attach a current unofficial or official transcript in English. (Under “Degree Status,” select “Now attending” to upload a transcript.)
Award Providers: Google